What is Spondylosis?
Spondylosis refers to degeneration of the spine. Most often, the term Spondylosis is used to describe osteoarthritis of the spine, but it is also used to describe any manner of spinal degeneration. The term can be used to describe degeneration in the following:
- Lower back – called Lumbar Spondylosis
- Middle back – called Thoracic Spondylosis
- Neck – called Cervical Spondylosis
Cervical Spondylosis most often causes neck pain and stiffness. Although Cervical Spondylosis is rarely progressive, corrective surgery can be helpful in severe cases.
The symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis include:
- Neck stiffness and pain
- Headache that may originate in the neck
- Pain in the shoulder or arms
- Inability to fully turn the head or bend the neck, sometimes interfering with driving
- Grinding noise or sensation when the neck is turned
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis tend to improve with rest. Symptoms are most severe in the morning and again at the end of the day.
If Cervical Spondylosis results in pressure on the spinal cord (cervical stenosis), it can put pressure on the spinal cord, a condition called cervical myelopathy. Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis with myelopathy include:
- Tingling, numbness, and/or weakness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet
- Lack of coordination and difficulty walking
- Abnormal reflexes
- Muscle spasms
- Loss of control over bladder and bowel
For most of the people above the age of 50, age is the main cause leading to Spondylosis. Irrespective of the age, it can occur in people whose job involves repetitive neck movements, people who had a previous neck injury, or even a family history of the condition.
Treatment options are very limited and conservative. They include multiple options like:
Rest and Medications:
Use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or other non-narcotic products is used to relieve pain from inflammation.
Physical Therapy and Chiropractic treatment:
Our Physical Therapy experts at Optimum in Wall Street, Upper East Side, and Astoria provide the best treatment based on your health condition and time constraint to get you relieved from your pain.